Mackinac Bridge

I never knew my father, he was sick when I was alive. When he was younger, he filmed the Bridge, I had never seen this footage. I filmed the bridge too. When I found his footage, I had to pair it with mine.

This entry was posted in Video. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Mackinac Bridge

1. Enric says:

Last year I did a mashup of Super-8 films I made between 1978-1980 at a student Co-Op I lived at, Lothlorien, at U.C. Berkeley and a film made by a current resident. She shot in a very different way similar locations — people on the roof, people making dinner, people enjoying themselves in the courtyard, etc. I switched back and forth between the decades. The main regret I have is having a cheap transfer to video of the Super-8. When I get the money I want to do a good transfer and redo the film.

2. Beautiful video. The surrounding area is so nice up there. I wonder if it was the same tourist magnet in the 70s (Mackniack City, ugh).

3. Dave H. says:

Josh. This is easily my favorite of all the videos you’ve posted. It’s meaningful in ways you’ll never know. Thank you very much for showing this. — Dave

4. Monika says:

This is really beautifully done. I really enjoyed the way you put the two pieces together. It has a great flow. Perfect music, too. Nice!

5. Michael Tyas says:

That was beautiful. It’s so touching that you and your father hold this spiritual connection through each other’s mind’s eyes…

That was probably said incorrectly, but y’know what I mean.

6. Erin Nealey says:

That was simply amazing. No wonder it is so meaningful for you. It was special even for me to watch. Thanks for sharing.

7. missbhavens says:

lovely. Finding that footage must have been such an emotional moment–you did a such a beautiful thing with it. Special.

8. Mary Beth says:

That’s incredible Josh. I’m glad you shared this.

9. Susan says:

Yes… I’m sure it will touch each person that watches it in a very different way. I have a feeling that this will be talked about over and over again at vloggercon. You are an incredible filmmaker, share-er, and storyteller as well.

10. kellybelly says:

That was beautiful, though I have to admit it was sad for me to watch… it makes me wish that I had something like this with which to somehow connect to my dad (who’s been gone for eight years now).

11. Anthony says:

Thank you for sharing; for sharing this video, this part of your history, this part of your father, this part of yourself.

12. Dooser says:

You are still alive. You are live. Josh.

13. joanna says:

this was absolutely beautiful. Nothing more to say than that. I rarely comment, and it moved even me to leave a note to say thank you for sharing.

14. Pingback: Beach Walks with Rox

15. Pingback: Josh Leo’s Vlog » Touring San Francisco

16. Tim says:

What an awesome tribute to your dad. I loved this video. It makes me wish someone in my family has a Super-8 video camera back then. There is something very special about discovering a connection you never knew you had. Thanks for sharing.

17. Nate says:

So many things going on that cross the boundaries between death & life–your tribute to your dad through the pairing of the same experiences. Mogwai’s musical tribute to Nick Drake . . . in the background. It’s so perfect.

This is further evidence of how amazing of a medium video really can be . . . especially in light of all the crap out there on You Tube . . .

18. Pingback: 2006 Mackinac Bridge Walk - Dig Michigan! -

19. Hey Josh, sorry about the impersonal ping from our blog. Still trying to get it under control.

This is a great video – I love the music and the way you interweaved the videos. Plus, as I’m a white-knuckled mess in the face of the Mighty Mac’s awesome height, it was refreshing to be able to relax and enjoy the ride!

A big amen to Nate too. I think YouTubing is just getting started as an art form and we’ll be seeing more and more staggering works art as people get comfortable with it.

20. Paul says:

Josh, this is a gorgeous video. I’ve been watching a lot of your videos for a while now, I love them. Thanks so much for producing them and sharing them, I’m a big fan.

21. Sorry to hear about your dad, I didn’t know that history. Thanks for sharing this.